- Babies can be tested soon after birth, while they are sleeping or feeding.
- Results are available immediately and testing is quick and painless.
- The AABR test evaluates how well sound travels along the hearing nerve to the brainstem. Results are NOT dependent on your baby’s response.
- Paediatricians recommend that ALL babies are tested within the first 6 weeks of life, preferably before being discharged from the hospital.
- Hearing loss is invisible. Late identification of hearing loss causes delays in speech, language and cognitive development.
Newborn Hearing Screening is done on a weekly basis at
Life Eugene Marais Hospital in Pretoria.
Why should your baby’s hearing be screened? Download all the information you need here: